Monday, August 22, 2011

“Jack Can’t Talk Thai!”

 Ok, to motivate myself and all of the millions of people reading this blog, I think I should have a tentative meal plan for the week…so here it goes…

Monday (yup today) – Thai Peanut Noodles w Veggies

Tuesday – Two kinds of Grilled Cheese…I'm seriously craving some grilled cheese…

Thursday – Shrimp n' Grits…Going Away Partayyy!

Friday – Either Stuffed Peppers, or something for little sister's 19th Birthday!!



I have at least kept to the plan so far, yah I know it's only Monday, but I'm all about the little victories. Not too long ago I saw a recipe from SELF Magazine for Peanut Thai Noodles, which I thought looked interesting, but I knew if peanuts were involved I would need a lott of flavor. I mean, I love a good PB&J as much as anyone else, but every time I see a Thai recipe involving peanut butter all I can think of is attempting to scrape rice noodles and peanut butter off the roof of my mouth. Point being, I had to put a lot of research into devising my perfect Thai Peanut Noodle recipe. I was all over Allrecipes.com and of course Food Network, comparing and contrasting any recipe involving peanut butter, soy sauce, and rice noodles. Fiiinally, I felt prepared to attempt the most delicious Thai recipe Ever! And I definitely did!

Seriously, I called my little sister and rushed her over to partake in this Peanutty Bliss! I texted my work friend and told her I would be bringing some to work for lunch and she would be trying some! The Roommate was out, but as soon as she came home I rushed a forkful to her and insisted she try my latest creation…she's suuper patient. So I know you're all on the edge of your seats, waiting for this recipe…so here we go with…



The Only Thai Peanut Noodles You'll Ever Need 4-6 Servings

      8oz thin rice noodles

      1 Tbsp Seasame Oil (or Olive Oil)

      1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped

      ½ lb sugar snap peas, ends trimmed

         Sauce:

            ¼ c + 1 Tbsp peanut butter

            2 Tbsp soy sauce

            1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

            2 ½ Tbsp honey

            1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

            ½ tsp chilli powder

    
Soak rice noodles in hot water for 8-10 min until noodles are tender. Then rinse with cool water, to avoid clumping.


While the noodles are soaking, mix all sauce ingredients together over low heat until peanut butter is melted and sauce is combined. Keep sauce warm over very low heat, making sure it doesn't burn.



Heat oil over med-high heat in large saucepan. Sauté bell pepper and snow peas for 3-4 min, so they are hot but still crunchy.

      *If you wish to add meat, like chicken, now would be the time to sauté chicken strips until cooked through (6-8 min) – then add the veggies. This dish would be great with chicken or tofu!


Add rice noodles to veggies and toss/stir to evenly combine. Then stir in peanut butter sauce several tablespoons at a time, until noodles and veggies are all coated. Serve Immediately.